Monday, October 23, 2006

Photos

I don't have a camera at the moment. I have a camera phone, which I use now and again. I publish pictures I take on my Moblog. I also have a Flickr account. There aren't many pictures there, though.

I used to take loads of pictures. Then something happened. I stopped. I think it is related to various things that happened fairly recently in my life. I stopped caring. I stopped feeling. Nowadays, I don't take many pictures. I never really take pictures of me. I don't like the way I look on camera, or sound when recorded. I think this is true of most people, though.


There was a creepy-good movie a while ago. It was called One Hour Photo. There were a number of interesting quotes in it.

"And if these pictures have anything important to say to future generations, it's this: I was here. I existed. I was young, I was happy, and someone cared enough about me in this world to take my picture."

It's the last bit that resonantes most deeply. It was pointed out to me one time by someone that not taking pictures of them meant I didn't care about them. Looking back, I think that my subconcious had finally acknowledged the fact that they never really cared about me as deeply as I did about them, and my subconcious just gave up. Plus, the statement was made during a very traumatic time. So I don't know - I'm still thinking about this.


"Nobody takes a picture of something they want to forget. "

This is thought provoking too. Within the framework of 'family pictures', it's true - just happy memories. But we record moments as they happen, especially these days with the proliferation of digital media. We take pictures of anything and everything. There are still moments in time that we want to freeze forever though.

No comments: